Thursday 26 January 2012

Week 3

The topic I have chosen for this week is to discuss:

"Some observations about social issues or challenges that face my host nation"

From my experience in Stuttgart an social issue that springs to mind is homelessness (Obdachlosigkeit). Just when walking down Königstraße on every block you can see people begging for money, some with signs asking for a donation or other simply just having a cup at their feet. I have experienced similar instances in other cities such as Rome and Paris. So I think this issue is definitely a big problem not just in Germany but the whole of Europe. I don't expect this problem to get any better, rather one would expect it to get worse due to Europe's current economic situation.

On a side note, another thought I had during the week is in regards to Germany's attitude on smoking. I find it interesting that they can be so forward thinking, and contemporary with things such as environment and economics however when it comes to smoking their views and laws seems outdated compared to countries like Australia. For example cigarettes are available at vending machines on the street and companies such as Marlboro can advertise. Obviously German society has a completely different view to the majority of people in Australia, especially the younger generations. I think this is one of the few instances where I can say Australia is more contemporary or forward thinking than Germany!

3 comments:

  1. I think the deal with smoking here though is that there is plenty of info around on it, so the government must take the view that people are making an informed choice. Maybe not so much a paternal or nanny-state as Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems true, that the homeless rates are high throughout Europe and that it is a problem we have all come across - however, it is less evident in Australia. Laws are quite outdated, I seem to agree! It really is interesting to compare to Australia's stark campaign against smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed the homeless people as well. It doesn't seem too different to Perth, just that there are more of them. I hope the government helps them out so that they don't freeze to death like in other European nations lately. It's one of those problems that I'm not sure will go away but maybe more can be done about it.

    ReplyDelete