Wednesday 8 February 2012

Miscommunication?

This week I just wanted to mention something I found amusing, and whilst it isnt a typical "miscommunication" it shows how countries have different views on certain words, and this could lead to a confusion in communication.
When I first came to Europe I was watching "The Voice of Germany" in Switzerland, and one of the judges said, in regards to one of the contestants performances, "That was fan-fucking-tastic!" or something to that effect. And they continued to use the word fuck to emphasise their latter comments. I was shocked that the word fuck could be used so freely on tv, especially as it was on at about 8pm. In live Australian reality shows, the use of the word fuck is uncommon and if it is used, it is often bleeped out. Also tv shows with lots of swearing are usually not on until 8.30pm.
At the time I didnt think too much of it, other than that was strange, and perhaps an accident on the tv shows behalf.
However, since then I have learnt that Germans will commonly use the word fuck, and in fact both of my teachers used it in class this week, one saying that it was fucking freezing outside. We were informed that there are many other German words that are worse than fuck. Whilst Australians will use the word fuck commonly in everyday conversations, the use of the word indicates a servereness to what is being expressed, whereas in Germany it seems to be used in a more off-handed or blase` manner.
So whilst it wasnt so much of a miscommunication, it is something that initially caught me off guard and it shows how different words can have different connotations depending on the country you´re in.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, i didnt know they thought it was so tame! I've heard in their movies but i guess because we use it so casually in English speaking society they thought it to be not so shocking? Who knows.

    ReplyDelete