Sunday 4 March 2012

Final Entry

Were my expectations met of the Stuttgart Winter Exchange?

The language classes we had during the exchange were really good. At first I thought it would be a struggle having classes taught in German, but after a while I got used to it, and I think this really helped with my listening skills. Our teachers were really great, and it was good that not every lesson was strictly grammar. Often we learnt about German culture and traditions. I really enjoyed this as I learnt things that had a practical use (for example why one cant order tap water at a restaurant, or whether or not to tip at a restaurant) and that I wouldn't have been able to learn from a book. In this sense my expectations were definitely met, as I wanted an education that went outside of what a book could teach me, and not just a focus on learning grammar for example, but rather a more general education on Germany as a culture.

Weather-wise my expectations were also met, as we did finally get some snow and cold weather, at times it even went as cold as -15!

Germany as a country also exceeded my expectations. I was so impressed by how forward thinking they are in so many respects, and at how cheap it is to live there. And all the German people I met along the way were lovely. My favourite cities were Munich and Berlin- they are so unique and there's so much history behind each city. And there are so many other cities in Germany I would like to visit in the future.

Overall I had a great time at the Winter Exchange. I loved Germany and cannot wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment